Education in Russia
About education in Russia
- In Russia, the state provides most education services regulating education through the ministry of education and science. Regional authorities regulate education within their jurisdictions within the prevailing framework of federal laws.
- In 2015, the united states central intelligence agency estimated the literacy rate in Russia at 99.7%(99.7% for men while for women 99.6%. Russia is seen as the second height of tertiary education attainment among the 35 OECD countries.
- In 2014, Russia was ranked as the 6th most popular destination for international students
- In 2016, the US company Bloomberg rated Russia’s higher education as the third-best in the world, measuring the percentage of high school graduates who attend college, the annual science and engineering graduates as a percentage of all college graduates, and science and engineering graduates as a percentage of the labor force.
- John Stieglitz, the former chief economist of the world bank, has stated that one of the good things that Russia inherited from the Soviet Union era was “a high level of education especially in technical areas so important for the new economy”
Why Russia ?
- Studying in Russia grants high-quality education in a culturally diverse environment.
- Russia is the perfect destination for students interested in the arts, as Russian is historically known for its excellence in painting, literature ballet, and classical music.
- Russian is rich in cultural history and perfect for students interested in studying history
- Russia possesses one of the best mass education systems in the world and has a long-standing tradition of high-quality education for all.
- Tuition in Russia is extremely inexpensive, especially in comparison with the quality of education which it buys.
Academic calendar & holidays
The general Russian tertiary university’s academic calendar for all tertiary institutions consist of two semesters which will be stated below:
- The first semester starts on the 1st of September every year.
- The second semester starts on the 1st of February every year.
- Each term lasts for 20 weeks and its length begins from 9th -18th weeks which are intended for a module testing while 10th -20th weeks are intended for semester testing.
- First-year students who are going to join any course taught in English are allowed to join later (due to delay in getting a visa or any other authentic reason).
- Students who are going to join the preparatory department or PG courses can start their studies at any time.